Monday, June 9, 2014

Mixed Media Collage

This project was actually one of my favorites! It was really hard to come up with a good idea but after I came up with mine I was really excited to make it.  My idea was completely original, but I didn't fully execute the whole idea.  At first I was going to make a lion out of pineapples and make the pineapples its mane but I soon realized that it would be way too time consuming and I didn't have that much time to spend on it.  So I made a circle of card board and filled that with lions and then made two pineapples out of cardboard and filled them with pineapples, then I glued the pineapples on the circle...(ghetto I know).  I really liked this project though because it has my two favorite things incorporated into it.  The one thing I would have really changed about it though is to take a little more time on it and not rush, so that it would look a little nicer and more put together.

Sticky Situation

When I started this project I was very unsure of what I should of done.  I had a lot of good ideas and thumbnails but I knew that I could not execute them in a way that they would look as good as I was picturing in my head.  Besides the fact that I didn't have very good ideas I also knew that painting is not one of my greater talents. When I finally decided on doing the giraffe I thought it would look way better than it turned out.  I love the way the right side of the painting looks but not so much the left side of it.  I think the best part of the painting is the grass.  I spent a lot of time on it and made many layers of it.  I also love the way the trees in the background look. The things I would change is the size of the giraffe, I would have made it so that it was a little bit bigger. I also would have changed the way I made the branches on the tree to the left because those turned out really bad, and I would have blended the grass together just a little bit better. Overall I think that this was one of my better pieces of art even though it still isn't that good.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Up close and personal

When we started brainstorming for this project I knew that I wanted to do a fruit but I knew that many others had the same idea. I decided on doing a pineapple because they are my favorite fruit and I knew that not too many others would do the same thing. My sister is a great photographer and I remeber one time she was taking random pictures at the beach in our beach house of a pineapple. It was only of half the pineapple and the rest was the background of the wall so that's why I decided to draw it the way I did and that is how I incorporated some of my ideas. When I started my thumbnails it was very hard and I thought it would be difficult but I just let my pencil flow and it started coming out great! Then I decided to start my final and I tried to encourporate new techniques like texture. This was something that was challenging for me. It was hard for me to do take the time to do this and actually focus but I was happy with it in the end! 
In the end I was very happy with the final product. It was much better than my fish and then I thought it would turn out. I had a hard time taking my time and not giving up but other than that I did great in my opinion!

Candy and Cans

When I started these drawings they were kind of difficult. The can was hard with the pastels because it was hard to blend the colors. After starting it though, it got easier and I felt a little more comfortable using them. Another difficult thing was making value in the can by making light and dark values. The final product didn't look that good to me and I feel like if I took a little more time I could have done better on it but at least it kind of looks like a can.
When I was drawing the dum-dum I had a lot of trouble. It was hard to draw the lines and shadows of everything. After I got the basic shape down it was a lot easier to use the color pencils and color it in. It kind of looks like a Lollypop but it could be better. I'm hoping that throughout these next 9 weeks I can improve my drawing skills a little bit!

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Project one: fish.

        When I was brainstorming ideas for my project I knew I wanted to do an animal. I decided after looking at multiple animals that I was going to do a fish. As I was looking through different species of fish I decided that I wanted to draw a betta fish. I printed out many references and started doing thumbnails. When I finally finnished my sketch I knew that I was ready to do my final. I used my references as a source of inspiration and then used some of my own ideas. I drew the fins and gills differently than my references but my ideas were inspired by the pictures.  Also I added coral to the bottom to add a little bit of a back ground, this was one of my ideas. In all I used inspirations and my own ideas in this piece. 
        When I was doing my sketch before I'm final I was using the tortillian a lot. I never stopped using it. I thought it looked very good but everyone else thought it looked kind of weird. After asking Ms. Rossi she told me to stop using it and took it away from me. I didn't think that I would be able to do my final without the tortillian but after Ms. Rossi showed me how to do it and use texture I got the hang out of it. Through this project I learned how to use texture to make it look more realistic.
           This artwork shows what I like because I really like animals. Especially sea animals. They intrigue me a lot. Also I grew up with many fish including a betta fish and in my head I had a great vision for a betta fish.